- You recently attended a professional development session and were drawn to the Reggio Emilia-inspired idea, “The environment is the third teacher.”
To further explore this concept, you decide to complete environmental scans to determine the components of early learning environments that encourage active and meaningful learning.Get Your Custom Essay Written From ScratchWe have worked on a similar problem. If you need help click order now button and submit your assignment instructions.
Part One – Observation
First, arrange to observe an early learning program (center-based or family childcare) for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Please note: The program should be licensed to operate in your state and preferably hold NAEYC, another credible accreditation, or a high rating in the state’s quality rating and improvement system.
Get Assignment Writing Help
Our experts are ready to complete your assignment, course work. essay, test, dissertation, research paper, quiz
- If you choose to observe the program in which you are currently employed, you are required to arrange the observation during a time you are not directly responsible for children.
- If you do not have access to an early learning program, please complete your environmental scan using a video option. Videos of the inside of an early learning program can be searched for using YouTube (try searching key terms such as ‘infant classroom’ or ‘family childcare environments,’. Or if you are interested in reviewing an outdoor environment, try this video – Natural Learning Environments.
- During the observation, take detailed notes of the environment, looking for specific components that can support or hinder active learning.
Part Two – Summary
Next, write a 1-2 page summary of your findings (with a title page and reference page) that:
- Describes the setting (i.e., age range, program type, accreditation, or quality rating, if available).
- If you chose a video option, please provide the link to the video.
- Describes what you observed in the environment.
- Provide examples of what was seen and heard.
- Interprets the environmental scan, including:
- Identifies at least one component of the environment that supported active and meaningful learning for each core consideration of DAP, for example:
- One component that addressed commonality
- One component that addressed individuality
- One component that addressed the children’s context
- Recommends improvements to the environment, including:
- Identifies at least one component of the environment that could be modified or included to support meaningful and active learning for each of the three core considerations of DAP (three recommendations in total).
- Uses at least one credible source to support your ideas with correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation in 1-2 page professional summary with title page and reference page.
- Download the title page template below: