Week 6 Assignment: Course Project Part I
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 8
EBOOK: OpenStax, Introductory Statistics. OpenStax CNX. Aug 23, 2019
Get Assignment Writing Help
Our experts are ready to complete your assignment, course work. essay, test, dissertation, research paper, quiz
You will complete a Course Project in this course that will span two weeks. The final project is due the Sunday of Week 7. The project is broken into two parts. You will complete Part I in Week 6 and Part II in Week 7. In Week 6, Confidence Intervals will be explored and in Week 7 Hypothesis testing will be explored.
A confidence interval is a defined range of values such that there is a specified probability that the value of a parameter lies within the interval.
In Part I of this project, you will pick a topic, complete research and provide a write-up that includes calculations. Round all values to two decimal places when appropriate.
- Choose a Topic where you can gather at least 50 pieces of data.
Examples of Topics
- The Golden Gate Warriors Points Per Game in 2016 (use the points scored in the first 50 games).
- High School Graduation Rates by State (use the graduation rates for all 50 states)
- Average Tuition Rates in the US (You have to find the tuition rates of 50 college/universities).
- The prices of a hotel room per night in a major city (You have to find the price of the same night of hotels in one city).
- Weights of 50 babies at birth.
- Write at least a 1-Page Report
Open a Word Document
- Introduction–Provide a description of your topic and cite where you found your data.
- Sample Data—Include a 5×10 table including your 50 values in your report. You must provide ALL of your sample data.
- Problem Computations—For the topic you chose, you must answer the following:
- Determine the mean and standard deviation of your sample.
- Find the 80%, 95%, and 99% confidence intervals.
- Make sure to list the margin of error for the 80%, 95%, and 99% confidence interval.
- Create your own confidence interval (you cannot use 80%, 95%, and 99%) and make sure to show your work. Make sure to list the margin of error.
- Problem Analysis—Write a half-page reflection.
- What trend do you see takes place to the confidence interval as the confidence level rises? Explain mathematically why that takes place.
- Provide a sentence for each confidence interval created in part c) which explains what the confidence interval means in context of topic of your project.
- Explain how Part I of the project has helped you understand confidence intervals better?
- How did this project help you understand statistics better?
Microsoft Office: Word and Excel
Use a personal copy or access the software at https://application.chamberlain.edu (Links to an external site.).
Part I: Topic & Introduction: Proficient Student picks an appropriate topic, provides a description of topic and the cites where data was found.
Part I: Sample Data: Proficient Student provides ALL 50 pieces of data.
Part I: Mean & Standard Deviation: Proficient Mean & Sample Standard Deviation of the data set is correct with no rounding error.
Part I: Constructing the 80%, 95%, 99% Confidence Intervals: Proficient Computes the 80%, 95%, and 99% confidence intervals correctly making sure to note the margin of error for each.
Part I: Creating a new confidence interval: Proficient. The student computes a confidence interval (not 80%, 95%, 99%) correctly making sure to list the margin of error.
Part I: Problem Analysis: Proficient. Student addresses the trend that takes place when the confidence level rises. Provides a sentence for each confidence interval created explaining what the confidence interval means in the context of the data collected. Provides a reflection for Part I of the project.